[Mailman-Users] Re: Batch list admin functions?

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 30 00:48:12 CET 2000

On 2000.11.29, in <p04330116b64b3c00a8dd@[17.216.27.237]>,
	"Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> I know this doesn't help your problem, but it's something I noticed
> -- mailman attaches the default admin message at the time the message
> comes in, not at the time the admin looks at it. It means you
> basically can't update those messages, which is not much of a
> problem, until you have to.
>
> In general, I think it's a good idea to design stuff so that it
> doesn't assign  values until it has to, just in case. this is a great
> example why.

Agreed - especially since the URL embedded in the rejection text is
subject to change.  It sounds as though what gets sent out in the
rejection letter can actually be invalid when it's received.

> I'm not sure separate files are the answer, but cleaner handling of
> the admin queue is.

Separate files or no, this seems like another instance where the data
is dependent on Python itself, and not for any apprent (to me) reason.
But it's especially awkward here, since the data in question did not
come from within Python - it comes from the MTA/MDA.

> At the worst, you can use python to read the requests.db file and
> manually rewrite all fo the messages, then use the admin page to
> reject them. That might require reading the mailman code for the
> requests.db data structure, but it's doable.

I can do that, but it will take me a big chunk o' time to turn what I
glean from reading into code that parses and works. :)  Much easier to
read than to write, as always.

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago