[Mailman-Users] An interesting statistic.

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Nov 8 21:24:34 CET 2000

I thought people might find these numbers interesting.

One of my servers sends out newsletters. Those newsletters are
avilable both in HTML format and text format -- users can subscribe
for whichever they prefer, although HTML is the default. Because of
limitations in the AOL clients, we force AOL.com addresses to the
text version.

I think this list gives a good indication of acceptance of HTML email.

My numbers:

HTML: 85.4%
AOL:  12.9%
Text:  1.5%

In other words -- given a choice, only 1.5% of subscribers choose
text-only. I can't disclose the size of the subscriber base, but the
list is in the seven digit world (greater than 1 million, less than
ten) and has been around long enough that the subscriber base is
stable.

Something for the "text is king" email people to think about... It's
pretty clear that MIME and/or HTML acceptance is beyond endemic in
the general public.

(and if 13% of the general subscriber base is AOL, the "AOL can go to
hell" groups are hurting only themselves, too...

Anyway, the data is data. The rest is IMHO.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

Be just, and fear not.