[Mailman-Users] Headers & footers on MIME/multipart messages

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ollie.clive.ia.us
Wed Nov 8 20:52:31 CET 2000

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 02:38:05PM -0500, George Dinwiddie wrote:

> The header and footer code is obviously not MIME-aware.  Therefore,
> the header and footer get inserted outside the viewed part of the
> message body.
>
> It seems to me that, as a minimum, it would be preferable to only
> insert into the text/plain part of the message.  Better, would be
> the ability to specify separate headers & footers for text/html and
> text/plain portions.

What I'd rather see (and is probably more workable) is to convert a
message to a multipart/mixed message with three parts: a text/plain
part with the header, a part with the original type and content, and a
text/plain part with the footer.

I think that this scheme would be easier to code and wouldn't have the
problem of messing up a cryptographically signed message.

The problem of viruses embedded in messages is best left to a virus
scanner hooked into the MTA (like Amavis or exiscan).

Jeff