Fwd: Re: [Mailman-Users] Problems with upgrading

mackay at kodak.com mackay at kodak.com
Thu May 25 16:42:13 CEST 2000

From: Scott D. MacKay

This could be a problem with the configuration of the mailman.  I believe
the error being reported is passed from the wrapper app.  The app is the
one reporting the error to the mail server which then dies out..  I don't
have the previous emails readily available, so forgive me if you already
answered this...
What was your mailman  --with-mail-gid configure option?  Did it include
the group that mail uses?  It really sounds like it does not recognise the
group mail is invoking the app with as being an allowed group.  I would
compare the GID you configured against the one used by your sendmail.

If you enabled SYSLOG for mailman, you should have an even logged at
LOG_MAIL/LOG_ERR level showing the expected and received GID.
This is seen from src/mail-wrapper.c in the main() where it invokes
check_caller() (common.c).

I believe the 'INSTALL' document is inaccurate with respect to
--with-mail-gid.
--with-mail-gid says you can use multiple GID values.  The mail-wrapper.c
assigns the variable parentgid to LEGAL_PARENT_GID which is defined as
MAIL_GID which is a '-D' macro passed in.  I see no looping in the
check_caller() and no array in mail-wrapper.c to cycle through each GID
provided.  In addition, it MUST be an integer value (give the C code).  In
short, only 1 GID, and it must be the integer value of the GID.

-Scott

Aaryn Olsson <aaryn at Ag.Arizona.Edu> on 05/24/2000 06:46:30 PM