[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Users] Does Mailman support local characters likeåäöÅÄÖ

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Mar 25 23:44:51 CET 2000

Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> writes:

> 1) In the archive -- it really sucks there
> 2) When approving via the web interface -- I just cannot properly read the
>    mail I'm supposed to aceept/reject.

I'm currently filtering mailman input through emil to force things to
use Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit and charset=iso-8859-1, which gets
things right for me if it's not about attachments.

This, however, imposes the risk of trashing those "high characters"
(with MSB set) when using mail transfer agents that do not support 8->7
bit transfer conversion such as qmail or Postfix. (OTOH, if the
recipient still is not 8-bit aware, he does not deserve better.)

--
Matthias Andree

                Where do you think you're going today?