[Mailman-Users] Feature questions

Derek Simkowiak dereks at kd-dev.com
Wed Mar 22 05:49:31 CET 2000

     Hello,
	I am new to MailMan, and have a couple of quick feature questions.

	First, it is possible to set up a mailing list that does *not*
require a password for its subscribers?

	Second, I currently use Majordomo and a customer had a feature
request:

	He has several mailing lists (6 of them).  Many of the people
subscribed to the first three are also subscribed to the last three.

	If he has an important announcement that needs to go to all the
subscribers of all the lists, he mails the message to all 6 mailing lists
to make sure everyone gets the announcement.

	This means there are several people who get 3, 4, or even 6 copies
of these important announcement messages (note that a special "announce"
mail list is not appropriate for his needs).

	What he would like is an MLM that can do a union of subscribers
based on the "To: " field of the email message.  So if he sends a message

To: list1 at server.com, list2 at server.com, list3 at server.com

	...and someone is subscribed to 2 or 3 of those lists, that
someone will receive only ONE copy of the message.  After hearing this
feature request, I think it's an awesome idea.  I'm subscribed to several
Open Source mail lists where there are "users", "dev", "annouce", etc.
lists and I routinely get multiple copies of email messages.

	Theoretically, this would be a simple array union of the expanded
recipient lists.  In Perl, this would be very simple (I've never really
seen Python code--yet).

	So my questions are:

a) Does this feature exist in MailMan

b) If not, would it be difficult to implement, given the architecture of
MailMan

c) (Also if not) Is anyone willing to implement this for me :)

Thanks,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks at kd-dev.com