[Mailman-Users] hyper-mail vs. pipermail??

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Tue Mar 7 17:30:22 CET 2000

> > It doesn't do that automatically, but it is a fairly easy task to
> > setup the RC's to generate a "REPLY" button which POSTs the relevent
> > data from the message in question to a CGI which then allows a
> > message to be edited and sent.
>
> Why do I need a cgi script?  I thought a simple mailto: link would be
> enough; upon clicking the link the user's mua would execute and from
> there they can quote the message as they choose.  And MHonArc can do
> threading based on the message subject so the original message id is not
> needed.  At least I think this is the case...

If you want the user to cut and paste the old message, then insert '> ' to
the left or somesuch manually, then yes, MHonArc supports a simple MAILTO:
link.

But this has really migrated away from the topic of Mailman to MHonArc
and is probably better discussed on the MHonArc mailing list.  There's
a FAQ, etc. at

   http://www.mhonarc.org/

with subscription information to the list.

Regarding threading, MHonArc relies heavily on the References: and
each message (to the extent of creating one if it doesn't exist).  It's
true that it does try to do subject-based threading if a message comes in
without any reference information, but you'll often run into false positives.

Chris