[Mailman-Users] Mailman Program - Not Satsified

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jun 30 05:12:10 CEST 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 23:02:44 EDT
JokeMList  <JokeMList at aol.com> wrote:

> All I need is a list where subscribers can write to a generic
> address (like jokemail-list at myjokemail.com ) and be sent a
> "Confirm Letter", to which they respond and are automatically
> added.  I was under the assumption that Mailman can do that stuff.

It can via the <listname>-request at domain address.

> Instead, all I see is a program where my subscribers would have to
> go to a separate webpage that Mailman provides, and submit their
> address there.

They can ALTERNATIVELY use the web page.  They don't have to.

> What's worse is that they even have to have a password.

Only if they use the web side.  If they subscribe via email a random
password is assigned automatically.

> Another thing: having 5000 people, isn't there an easy way to
> transfer all of them over to a file, instead of pasting their
> names in batches of 30 addresses to the configuration page?

~mailman/bin/add_members.

> I dont need my subscribers to have a password...simply a letter to
> confirm their subscription request upon submission.

Passwords are also used to prevent forged unsubscriptions, as well
as for subscription setting changes.  There is currently no option
to run without some level of password protection for subscribers.

> They also shouldnt have to go to a separate webpage, but instead,
> could directly email the list for a subscription if need be.

This has been supported since day one.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu