[Mailman-Users] broadcast-type lists

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Fri Jul 21 22:02:16 CEST 2000

Harold Paulson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm quickly learning how important email is to web development.  I
> have quite a few clients interested in broadcast-type email lists.
> The "Keep me informed about your Widgets" type of email lists (NO
> SPAM).  Is mailman suitable for this?

Should be, yes.  See Chris Kolar's documentation on the two magic
"privacy" fields (you can find a pointer to it on the main page
at www.list.org)

> I have been trying to build a configuration to test this out, but I
> have run into a few snags.  I'd like to replace the standard "You are
> subscribed" email message with a custom one, but I can't get it to
> send the user's password.  I spent a few hours digging through source
> trying to enable a %(password)s option, but I can't Python my way out
> of a wet paper bag.

I've edited templates/subscribeack.txt and it works.  It's unfortunately
global for all lists on the server, but it's got a number of custom fields,
so that works out.  One of them is certainly %(password)s, and it
surely works.

What have you been trying that doesn't work, and how doesn't it work?