[Mailman-Users] Error decoding authorization cookie.

Willard Dawson willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com
Mon Jul 10 14:13:30 CEST 2000

Hello,

I'm sorry if I seem argumentative, that is certainly not my intent!

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 12:59:39AM -0700, Dan Mick wrote:
> OK, first of all, this *was* a private message, so posting back to the
> list is kinda impolite.

Sorry.  I guess I misunderstood.  You see, I asked my question to the
list.  So, I figured you only accidentally left the list out of your
reply.  My apologies.

For what it's worth, I believe this discussion should remain in the
list, especially since I have not seen any answers to this problem,
yet.  Surely, the others who also currently experience it will
appreciate any discussion, too.

> Second, no, I haven't taken the time to try to track
> down what your problem is; I'm expecting you to meet me 1/3 of the
> way and describe it.  "it fails with the error" doesn't describe
> the problem.

Sorry, I disagree.  It describes it most succinctly.

> I've never seen it, so I can't be of any help whatsoever
> in trying to localize the problem; for all I know, that message is coming
> from some custom web server you've got, and isn't connected with Mailman
> at all.

Hmm.  It's Apache, stock.  Not custom at all.  See the following from my

-> In the best tradition of following-up to my own post, I upgraded my
-> Apache server from 1.2.6 to 1.3.12, but the problem persists. :-(

> What *exactly* do you do to provoke the error message?  Where exactly
> does the message appear, and in what context (what surrounds it)?

Didn't I answer this, already?

Simply put:

1. Install mailman
2. Install fix to allow newlist to work as expected
3. Create new list, assigning password in the process
4. Attempt to use cgi-bin/admin to update new list (adding comment
   field)
5. Experience cookie problem
6. Update Apache to latest installed release
7. Try again
8. Post to list
9. Here we are

Siemens Business Services, ENS   mailto:willard.dawson at sbs.siemens.com