[Mailman-Users] Administration URL

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Tue Jan 25 19:09:29 CET 2000

From: "Ken Manheimer" <klm at digicool.com>
> > Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:25:44 -0500
> > From: Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com>
> > To: mailman-users at python.org
> > Subject: Administration URL (was Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: Your mail
> list.)
> >
> > Why is it that only *some* messages have the administration URL on the
> bottom?
> > Is it the difference between ones that are sent directly to the list
> and ones
> > that are Cc'ed?
>
> That's right - explicitly mentioned 'cc:' and 'to:' recipients besides
> the mailing list go directly to the named destinations, not through the
> maillist remailer, so do not get the mailing list footer.
>
> It's possible that the cited text has the footer - but that's generally
> excessive citation, it's generally better to include just enough context
> to clarify what's going on.

The footer would also be missing in MIME messages with multipart sections.
The footer gets put on after the last multipart section and doesn't get
displayed by the MIME/email client.  If you look at the raw message source
you'll see it there.

I'm working on a Perl script to strip MIME binary and HTML sections from
messages and leave behind just the text/plain section.  Currently I have
something which seems to be working fairly well on my US-english lists,
although it still has a bit of work to go before I can feel safe giving it
out to folks.

alex