[Mailman-Users] Feature questions

Victoriano Giralt vic at vgg.sci.uma.es
Fri Jan 14 00:56:18 CET 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

>      Hello,
> 	I have some questions about Mailman features.
>
> 	I have administered several Majordomo lists.  Creating a new list
> is a time-consuming process involving several steps.  Without referring to
> the documenation, I inevitably forget to create a file (like
> listname.admin) or to set the permissions correctly.
You are in for a nice experience :)

> 	Is the process for creating a new list comparable under Mailman?
> What I'd *really* love is a web-page based mail list creation tool, or at
> the very least, being able to create a list with one or two single
> commands.  I'm hoping to turn over mail list creation (and removal) to
> someone who has no Unix skills, meaning NO experience with Unix text
> editors or shell syntax.
Depends on your MTA. List creation/removal is done with a single command
$prefix/bin/newlist or $prefis/bin/rmlist. If your MTA is sendmail you
need to edit the aliases file to add the lines spit out by newlist. I
think that someone on this or the developres list has made some
enchantment to exim so it will automagically find mailman lists.

> 	Next question: can I alter the appearance of the web pages (white
> background, blue and gold section headers) *without* editing Python code?
> I haven't learned Python yet, and I wouldn't want to edit the source for
> every new list anyhow.  Specifically, I'd like to know if I can (1) change
> the colors, (2) change the font, and (3) Nest the stuff inside some kind
> of header and footer--without using server side includes--by way of a
> configuration file and/or web page.
Questions 1 and 2 yes, even via web interface. 3, I'm affraid not.

--
Victoriano Giralt
Systems Programmer