[Mailman-Users] Test List

Bill DeVos watcher at stercomm.com
Tue Feb 29 17:42:25 CET 2000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Lin Qiu wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Thanks for the information. I did the symbolic link, it takes care one problem.
> This time I have:
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
>     (expanded from: <test-request at lqldap.admin.sunyrockland.edu>)

> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/home/mailman/scripts/mailcmd", line 49, in ?
>     list = MailList.MailList(sys.argv[1])
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 62, in __init__
>     self.Load()
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 804, in Load
>     self.Lock()
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1373, in Lock
>     self.__lock.lock()
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/LockFile.py", line 186, in lock
>     os.link(self.__lockfile, self.__tmpfname)
> OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
> 554 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"... unknown mailer error 1

  Although I'm very new to Python (haven't written a program in it yet)
looking at the traceback the last line mentions
os.link(self.__lockfile..., this appears to me that it was (at the time of
the error) attempting to create it's lock file, yes?
  Looking at the actuall error "Permission denied" I would guess that the
OS has refused permission to create a lock file.
  Again from the INSTALL docs:
3. Check your installation

    To check that your installation has all the correct permissions
    and group ownerships, you should run the check_perms script:

    - cd to $prefix

    - Run bin/check_perms

  Have you done this?  What was the result?