[Mailman-Users] accents in subjects

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Fri Feb 25 17:24:11 CET 2000

Quoting Anders Bandholm (Anders.Bandholm at uni-c.dk):
> We can all agree that the idea that "Re:" means "regarding:" or
> "reply:", and it must be translated is completely stupid. I used to use a

Actually, it isn't a short form for "regarding" or "reply" - it's the Latin
word "re", as in the phrase "de re".  It's people who think it's a short form
of an English word who usually make the mistake of translating it.

Unfortunately my company's web proxy is broken (as usual) so I can't look it
up, but one of the RFCs specifically states that a subject line for a reply
should have "Re: " at the beginning, not some translated short form of
"Reply".  I thought it was 822, but I'm probably actually thinking of one of
the more recent superceding RFCs.

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.

'Usenet "belongs" to those who administer the hosts of which it is comprised'
 - RFC 1036, draft revision