[Mailman-Users] Mhonarc + Mailman (was external archiver urls)

Christopher P. Lindsey lindsey at mallorn.com
Fri Feb 25 02:01:07 CET 2000

> > I'll ask for details on how my counter-part set it up and see what
> > comes back. (Look for private email as I think this gets to be OT.)
>
> I'm new to this list, but I believe discussion of implementing
> alternative archivers for use with mailman is pretty germane.  In my
> opinion, MHonArc is best of breed, though setup can be intimidating.

I think I'm probably missing something in this thead, but nothing
jumped right out at me about this.

Anyhow, just a reminder to everyone that MHonArc or any other external
archiver (heck, even a script to pump things into an SQL database) can
be called directly from Mailman.  This eliminates the need for procmail
recipes, extra accounts, etc.

In mm_cfg.py:

   PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER  = '(/afs/ncsa/packages/mhonarc/SunOS_5.4/bin/mhonarc -add -nolock -afs -umask 023 -rcfile rc.%(listname)s -outdir /afs/ncsa/web/internal/htdocs/lists/%(listname)s)'

You can also define PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER.

This is actually a simplified version of our setup; we append and prepend
Kerberos ticket destroying and obtaining commands before that big one,
but it should be about the same.  But count this as a disclaimer against
the functionality of the line above.  :)

Chris