[Mailman-Users] Mhonarc + Mailman (was external archiver urls)

Nathaniel Irons mrpy at bumppo.net
Fri Feb 25 00:21:58 CET 2000

On 2/24/00 at 5:30 PM, scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com (Scott Russell) wrote:

> From the mailing list side, which is right this moment still
> majordomo, emails sent to 'archive at system.name.com' are automatically
> archived. This is for three different lists. Mhonarc takes care of
> sorting them out (based on the [listname] in subject) and sticking
> them into the correct web archive.

Are you sure about this?  To the best of my knowledge, MHonArc has no
code to determine the appropriate archive for a given message, whether
based on subjects or any other criteria -- you just give it input, and
tell it explicitly where to put the output.  I think your predecessor
likely implemented a procmail solution or something else along those
lines.

In my case, I subscribe lists to unique addresses under my domain name,
and use procmail to deposit new mail based on the To field:

    ARCHIVEDEST="$HOME/archive/"
    YEAR="`/bin/date +%Y`"
    MONTH="`/bin/date +%m`"

    :0:
    * ^TOaddress-of-list
    $ARCHIVEDEST/name-of-list/$YEAR/$MONTH.mbox.new

cron periodically calls a wrapper script that invokes MHonArc with the
appropriate options (including the output location of the archive),
based on the name-of-list in the mailbox's path.

> I'll ask for details on how my counter-part set it up and see what
> comes back. (Look for private email as I think this gets to be OT.)

I'm new to this list, but I believe discussion of implementing
alternative archivers for use with mailman is pretty germane.  In my
opinion, MHonArc is best of breed, though setup can be intimidating.

  -nat