[Mailman-Users] Add new list through web

Doug Hughes doug at eng.auburn.edu
Sun Feb 6 22:23:30 CET 2000

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> Doug Hughes wrote on 949844862:
> > On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> >
> > Oy! Has this person actually LOOKED at mailman? It's vastly
> > superior to majordomo in nearly every respect. We have both.
> > Well, actually, we're transitioning all of the old majordomo
> > lists to mailman. The list owner's, for one, are ecstatic about
> > the functionality they can access easily through the web.
>
> He hasn't really had a look at it, he thinks it's too much work (how
> well does the convert script work? Any experiences?).

I haven't used the convert script. I just take the list of persons
from the old list and paste them in the new list. Done.
I haven't actually done the archive conversion, but I understand
that it works reasonably well.

> Although Mailman is certainly better, the majority (any stats?) of the
> mailinglists are running Majordomo. Why is this? If this has been
> asked before, please redirect me to the URL (any flames?).

Because of momentum and notoriety. More people know about majordomo.
It's been around a lot longer. More people know Perl than know python
as well. Then again, more people feel the need to modify and extend
majordomo than do with mailman because just about everything you could
want is already there (with the possible exception of searchable
archive indices - but majordomo doesn't have that either)
Mailman has really only been around a little over a year (if you
consider the LISA '98 conference it's official broadband launch)

Doug Hughes					Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin  				Auburn University
			doug at eng.auburn.edu