[Mailman-Users] Is this a bug, or just because I called it from an unpriveledged account?

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Tue Dec 26 06:00:25 CET 2000

> If it's trying to delete a lock file, it's no doubt due to the fact that it
> (thought that it) created a lock file. Since no lock file is present... why
> did it get as far as it did without producing an error?

I believe the underlying code is trying to clean up any possibly pre-existing lock file
as part of the "taking care" section when creating a list.  There's no known live lock
file for the list because the list is being created now, and this code is just a
prophylactic measure to try to make newlist more bulletproof.  The fact
that you didn't have permission would be a fatal error for either creating or
removing a lock, so dying if it happens is not unreasonable.

It is a bit confusing, but it's part of trying to make the filesystem persistence
less of a problem.