[Mailman-Users] Is this a bug, or just because I called it from an unpriveledged account?

Scott Brown scott-brown at home.com
Fri Dec 22 05:33:17 CET 2000

Hi Dan,

I suspected as much - I invoked it from one of the virtual domain accounts
on my server (which kinda bothers me that a virtual domain can get access to
that directory tree... though obviously cant fiddle with it's contents)

But this does leave an underlaying question though:

If it's trying to delete a lock file, it's no doubt due to the fact that it
(thought that it) created a lock file. Since no lock file is present... why
did it get as far as it did without producing an error?

(putting on my programmer's hat for a minute)

My feeling is that if it couldnt create the lock file, it should have died
there and then, or politely told the user that they're not priveleged to run
the routine (since it's a safe bet that if it couldnt create a lock file, it
couldnt create any other required files or open any datafiles for updating)

(back to mailman-user mode)