[Mailman-Users] "from" field - how can I change it?

Darron Froese darron at javelindigital.com
Wed Dec 13 18:02:35 CET 2000

On 12/13/00 9:16 AM, "Meredith, Robert" <robert.meredith at neonsoft.com>
wrote:

> My Mailman machine is called xxx.domain.com but I have a DNS alias setup
> called lists.domain.com.  I can send messages to test at lists.domain.com and
> don't have a problem.  But, when I receive the message via Mailman it says
> it is from "xxx.domain.com" instead of "lists.domain.com".  How can I change
> this from field?  I have tried changing the Sendmail setup (masq.), but
> haven't had any luck.

1. You seem to have to have an A record for the domain in question that
points to the same IP address. A CNAME doesn't appear to work. When I was
working on this (on Monday for most of the day) - some mail servers would
report the actual domain name of the machine when I wanted them to use the
modified domain name for the list. (Other mail servers would report the name
that I wanted it to report.) An A record *instead* of a CNAME solved the
problem on multiple mail servers that I had access to.

2. At the bottom of the general options page in the administrative section
of the list there are two fields where you can set the "Hostname this list
prefers" and the "Base URL for Mailman web interface". These addresses are
used in all of the emails that are sent out from the mailing list.
--
darron froese
new media technologist
e  darron at javelindigital.com