[Mailman-Users] Mailman & suexec.... you CAN work around it.

Scott Brown scott-brown at home.com
Thu Dec 7 01:22:09 CET 2000

To whomever told me that they couldnt get mailman to work on a server with
suexec running....

	IT  CAN  BE  DONE!

The key is to set up a proxy to handle the mailman requests.... and have a
separate virtualdomain run as the CGI  UID/GID set that you compiled into
mailman.

What I did (after installing Mailman according to the install instructions)
was:

1)	Add proxy support to your server:

# proxy support to aid Mailman 2.0 to work around suexec restrictions
# will allow http://www.yourdomain.com/mailman to reference
http://localhost:8000/mailman/
# and run with different uid:gid that mailman requires
#
LoadModule proxy_module /www/libproxy.so
AddModule mod_proxy.c
NoCache *

# Proxy Server directives. Uncomment the following line to
# enable the proxy server:

ProxyRequests On

2) Ensure your system is listening on port 8000

# Listen: Allows you to bind Apache to specific IP addresses and/or
# ports, in addition to the default. See also the VirtualHost command

Listen 80
Listen 8000

(you may have others... like 443 if you're SSL-enabled)

To each virtual domain (!!! DONT add this as a generic config statement to
the base server or you'll end up consuming all your clients !!!) , add:

ProxyPass /mailman/ http://localhost:8000/mailman/

3) And then add a new virtual host:

<virtualhost localhost:8000>
User nobody
Group nobody
DocumentRoot /home/
<Location />
        Deny from all
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from localhost 127.0.0.1
</Location>
</virtualhost>

I cant take much of the credit here - I had a friend (a Linux sysadmin by
trade) help me work through the majority of the config changes.  It's kinda
elegant when you look at it - even though it's been three weeks in the
works.

Barry et al, feel free to add this info into the distribution.