[Mailman-Users] wierd happenings

Virginia Beauregard virginia at texterity.com
Fri Aug 11 15:51:45 CEST 2000

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, leith parkin wrote:

>   Im running mailman 2beta5 and having strange problems. This is a bsd box
> which uses sendmail as the MTA. On adding new list members mailman can email
> welcome messages out, password reminiders etc. However when a post is made
> to a list, the email just disappears into the nether nether.

While snippits from your mail logs would probably be helpful, this sounds
like it's probably one of the following problems:

  (1) The mail wrapper either has incorrect permissions, ownership, or
      has lost its setgidness.  On my system, the perms on ./mail/wrapper
      are:
	$ ls -l ./mail/wrapper
	-rwxr-sr-x   1 mail     mailman     30868 Aug 10 19:56	./mail/wrapper
      (mail is the MTA's DefaultUser).

  (2) The permissions of your installation are generally incorrect.
      Everything seems to work merrily when my installation is owned by
      Sendmail's DefaultUser, but not so happily otherwise.

  (3) You forgot to update mailman's crontab.
	$ crontab -l -u mailman | diff - ./cron/crontab.in
      shouldn't show anything different except the header.

./bin/check_perms will probably help a lot with the first and second
possible problems.

Virginia J. Beauregard                            virginia at texterity.com
UNIX Systems and Network Administrator                   Texterity, Inc.