[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Barry McLarnon VE3JF bm at lynx.ve3jf.ampr.org
Thu Aug 3 05:58:04 CEST 2000

Dan Mick <Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM> wrote:

> I still agree that passwords should be optional, at least per-list
> (per-subscriber could get to be a pain) but they're just not
> that hard to deal with.

Optional on a per-list basis would be fine.  One other thing related to
passwords: a subscriber on one of my lists recently had a frustrating
time trying to change his settings because what he thought was an "I"
character in the password was actually a "l".  He suggests having the
password generator avoid using the characters "I", "l" and "1".  Seems
like a reasonable request, and probably easy to code up.  I don't know
Python, so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if someone wants to
whip up a patch and submit it.  Hmmm, "O" and "0" might be another good
pair to avoid...

Barry

  Barry McLarnon  VE3JF        |  bm at hydra.carleton.ca
  Ottawa Amateur Radio Club    |  bm at lynx.ve3jf.ampr.org