[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Thu Aug 3 00:29:24 CEST 2000

> I find the reminder meaningless anyway. A reminder that comes once a
> month is a reminder that gets deleted or forgotten by most people.
> Particularly with the lists I am maintaining (definitely non-technically
> minded people), this password reminder just adds to the confusion. A lot
> of people do not file their mail.

Those people don't remember their phone number?  They don't have
an SSN?

It's trivial to save a four-character password, and it's reasonable
to expect a mailinglist member to do it.  You don't have to "file mail"
to do that (although it's obviously the easiest way).

> Myself I never bother saving password requests because often I am on and
> off a list within the month anyway and if I'm on it for more than a
> month I'm there to stay.

I sure hope you save the unsubscribe instructions and any optional
passwords *some*where, so that you can unsubscribe yourself as
necessary.