[Mailman-Users] prevent non-members from posting?

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Tue Apr 4 19:33:02 CEST 2000

Quoting Tom Limoncelli (tal at research.bell-labs.com):
> Now the problem:  I have 'Restrict posting privilege to list members?' set
> to "yes" yet I constantly get messages sent for manual approval even when
> the person is on the mailing list.
>
> If there a process I should follow to diagnose this situation?

Look to see if they have a "Sender:" header.  Netscrape Mail, and probably
some other programs written by people with only a passing familiarity with
RFCs, inserts an invalid "Sender:" header a lot of the time.  Since this
Sender disagrees with the address of the person on the list, mailman puts the
message aside for manual approval.

It's a pain in the ass.  If the person *is* using Netscape under Unix or
Linux, tell them to exit Netscape, and put the following in
$HOME/.netscape/preferences.js

user_pref("mail.suppress_sender_header", true);

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.