[Mailman-Users] prevent non-members from posting?

Tom Limoncelli tal at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Apr 4 19:19:49 CEST 2000

Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 08:25:08PM -0800, Dave Robbins wrote:
> > of implementing.  I've searched all the docs but still haven't found
> > if it's possible to prevent non-members of a list from posting.
>
> Yes, see the "General posting filters" section of the "privacy" page of
> every list's administration pages.  Read the "Details" help carefully for
> those two entries because "Restrict posting privilege to list members?" and
> "Addresses of members accepted for posting..." interact in a way that may
> not be immediately obvious.

Could someone explain it to me?

First, let me explain that I'm moving from majordomo to mailman and I
*really* appreciate this software.  My compliments to the authors and
contributors!  The installation process was so smooth and the software runs
to well I can't tell you what a relief it is!

Now the problem:  I have 'Restrict posting privilege to list members?' set
to "yes" yet I constantly get messages sent for manual approval even when
the person is on the mailing list.

If there a process I should follow to diagnose this situation?

Thanks in advance,
--tal

P.S.  I'm runing mailman-1.1 on Red Hat Linux 6.1.