[Mailman-Users] migrating from smartlist

Ricardo ricardo at miss-janet.com
Sat Sep 11 12:09:40 CEST 1999

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 04:54:25AM -0400, Justin Wells wrote:
> Now I am looking at migrating over some of my larger lists (from smartlist).
> You're allowed to tell me to RTFM if you include a link to the FM, since
> I looked around and didn't see an obvious way to do this, or an obvious
> place to look for the answer:
>   1) I have a lot of users to migrate over. There's the bulk subscribe
>      option that I can use on the webpage, but it doesn't allow me
>      to specify whether the user should get the digest version or
>      the non-digest version.
>      How do I mass-subscribe a bunch of people, and tell mailman that
>      they should ALL get the digest version? (I would then mass-sub
>      all the non-digests in one step, and all the digests in a 2nd step.)
~mailman/bin/add_members is your friend...
i don't know in what format the smartlist userlist is, but you can
make 2 differen plain text files, one for the non-digest and the
other for the digest users... and feed them to add_members...
Note that you can run into trouble if you subscribe a huge list of people
this way ... i'm not sure if this has been changed in the latest version
of  mailman, but it was advised to do the mass subscribes in several chunks
cause sometimes it might happen that the MTA doesn't accept that much
connections in one time...

Add members to a list from the command line.

Usage:
    add_members [-n <file>] [-d <file>] [-c <y|n>] [-w <y|n>] [-h] listname

Where:

    --non-digest-members-file <file>
    -n <file>
        A file containing addresses of the members to be added, one
        address per line.  This list of people become non-digest
        members.  If <file> is `-', read addresses from stdin.

    --digest-members-file <file>
    -d <file>
        Similar to above, but these people become digest members.

    --changes-msg=<y|n>
    -c <y|n>
	set whether or not to send the list members the `there's going to be
	big changes to your list' message. defaults to no.

    --welcome-msg=<y|n>
    -w <y|n>
        set whether or not to send the list members a welcome message,
        overriding whatever the list's `send_welcome_msg' setting is.

    --help
    -h
        Print this help message and exit.

    listname
        The name of the Mailman list you are adding members to.  It must
        already exist.

You must supply at least one of -n and -d options.  At most one of the
files can be `-'.

Ricardo.