[Mailman-Users] problems with mail delivery

Rick Niess rniess at netserver3.otr.usm.edu
Tue Nov 30 18:02:49 CET 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Joachim Dahl wrote:
> I have installed mailman v.1.1 on a Linux box. I just followed the default
<snip>
> >From /home/mailman/logs/smtp-failures:
> Nov 26 12:06:54 1999 TrySMTPDelivery:
> Mailman.pythonlib.smtplib.SMTPRecipientsRefused  /
> {'john.doe at analog.com': (550, '<john.doe at analog.com>... Relaying denied')}
> (dequeued)
<snip>
> I can send mail to john.doe using sendmail, so the mail system seems to be
> working globally (and
> I can register locally with confirmation via email).

     It doesn't look like you're using Sendmail so I can't give you
explicit instructions on how to fix this.  I can, however, tell you what
appears to be wrong.

     Many MTA's these days have a lot of spam-reducing security features
disabled.  One of these is to restrict mail relaying (connecting to an
SMTP server and sending a message that has both the To an From fields as
non-local or off-site addresses).

     I suspect that either your MTA is setup to not allow relaying at all
or it isn't setup to allow it for the "preferred" host that you're using
at the bottom of the general list config.  Or something like that. (?)
I'd suggest looking into your MTA's docs to see what it says about
relaying and what has to be enabled to allow restricted relaying, etc.
If need be, set it up so that all mail coming local (inside this host)
SMTP connections can relay but nothing else can.  Just my $.02...

						~ Rick ~
--
.oooO "Man with closed Oooo.    Rick C. Niess
(   )   mouth gathers  (   )    University of Southern Miss.
 \ (      no foot!"     ) /     resnet at usm.edu