[Mailman-Users] Weird Configuration Error

John Rizzo follower at acm.njit.edu
Thu Mar 25 14:13:05 CET 1999

Hi guys.. I was wondering if someone could help me out with this error.

Ok I recently had a disk failure but I was able to tar the mailman
directory on the bad disk.

I then reinstalled mailman 1.0b8 and copied all the things I thought
needed to be copied.  I copied the directories in /var/lib/mailman/lists
and the /var/lib/mailman/archives. I then created a test list and attepted
to use that.  It works.. But the lists that I copied do not work.  I don't
see any other problems with the list, ie I can edit the config stuff for
each list in the web interface.

Just to make sure I did the simple things.
1. yes I recreated the /etc/aliases file
2. I am using smrsh and I did create a link from
/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper to /usr/adm/sm.bin
3. I did re-edit the /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and
/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py

One thing do I have to worry about group privleges or something like that
and if so what?

Here is the error I get when I send email to the old lists.

"|/usr/adm/sm.bin/wrapper post acminfo"
    (expanded from: <acminfo at acm.njit.edu>)

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/var/lib/mailman/scripts/post", line 65, in ?
    current_list.Post(msg)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1042, in Post
    self.AddRequest('post', Utils.SnarfMessage(msg),
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 45, in AddRequest
    self.Save()
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 683, in Save
    file = aside_new(fname, fname_last, reopen=1)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1209, in aside_new
    os.unlink(new_name)
os.error: (13, 'Permission denied')
554 "|/usr/adm/sm.bin/wrapper post acminfo"... unknown mailer error 1

the actual message then follows.

John Rizzo                      Work Email: jrizzo at iconnet.net
NJIT A.C.M. President		Personal Email: follower at acm.njit.edu
Qwest Internet Solutions        Pager: jrizzo.pager at qwest.com