[Mailman-Users] RFC for List Message Header Fields

Darren Henderson darren at jasper.somtel.com
Wed Mar 24 18:08:57 CET 1999

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Edward S. Marshall wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Darren Henderson wrote:
> > Perhaps its just me but I find the use of URL's in the headers disturbing.
>
> Can you quantify that objection? Ie. can you explain what about it
> disturbs you?
>
> It would seem to me to make automated unsubscriptions extremely simple on
> the part of the MUA, especially considering that most modern MTAs (Pine,

I can try though some of it boils down to a philisophical position.

Email is not the web the web is not email. I don't like bluring the
distinction. It assumes a lot about about users and the state of the
world. It may lead people to think that embeding html in email is a good
thing.

While a lot of people use netscape etc to do mail a lot of people don't.
Yes, the latest versions of pine have the capability of dealing with urls
but the older ones don't and a lot of sites aren't upgrading.

Most people see their mail with a limited number of headers, these won't
be visible to them. Yes they can look at the other headers but most don't
know too. Eventually mua's could be altered to display those paticular
headers by default as it stands currently I don't think any of them do.

No earth shattering reasons really. Mostly personal preference I guess.

Darren Henderson                              darren at jasper.somtel.com

                   Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/