[Mailman-Users] 1.0b9: mbox archive works, pipermail doesn't

Gordon Matzigkeit gord at trick.fig.org
Wed Mar 10 16:23:07 CET 1999

 GM> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
 >>  >>>>> "Gord" == Gordon Matzigkeit <gord at trick.fig.org> writes:

 Gord> I'm having problems using the bundled pipermail archiving.
 >>  The group ownership on that directory looks suspect.  What is
 >> group `list'?  The archive directories must be writeable by group
 >> `mailman'.

 GM> Not if you use the debian package. Since the list group (and
 GM> user) was allocated a long time ago in the debian group (and
 GM> passwd) file it made sense to use it, and not do dynamically
 GM> allocate a new group. And the group name is never referenced
 GM> directly, so it works like this.

Yes, that's what I'm doing.

I know for a fact that the permissions are fine, because the
timestamps on the pipermail files are being updated, and mailman is
able to recreate the directories automatically if I blow them away
using `rm -rf /var/lib/mailman/archives/{private,public}/fig-mail*',
and send another message to fig-mail.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord at fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)