[Mailman-Users] 1.0b9: mbox archive works, pipermail doesn't

Gergely Madarasz gorgo at caesar.elte.hu
Wed Mar 10 09:52:15 CET 1999

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     Gord> I'm having problems using the bundled pipermail archiving.
>
> The group ownership on that directory looks suspect.  What is group
> `list'?  The archive directories must be writeable by group
> `mailman'.

Not if you use the debian package. Since the list group (and user) was
allocated a long time ago in the debian group (and passwd) file it made
sense to use it, and not do dynamically allocate a new group. And the
group name is never referenced directly, so it works like this.

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo at caesar.elte.hu         gorgo at linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/