[Mailman-Users] nesting lists

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Wed Jun 16 19:11:40 CEST 1999

[Dan Busarow]

> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Dominic Martinelli wrote:
> > However, I ran into one major problem.
> >
> > I am in the process of trying to migrate a complicated sendmail alias scheme
> > to mailman. Currently we have a hierarchy of aliases. For example, a top
> > level alias will point to lower level ones.
> >
> > The problem that I have is that when I nest lists with mailman, if someone
> > is on more than one of the bottom level lists, they will get duplicate
> > messages. Is there anyway for mailman not to send out duplicates in this case?
> >
> > Also, it is not possible to not have people on more than one of the lower
> > level lists, so making sure that there are not duplicates is not an option.
>
> Try lowering MAX_SPAWNS (1 should almost certainly work) and/or
> raising SMTP_MAX_RCPTS
>
> You need to let sendmail see the duplicates and sort it out.

This won't help, if I understand the problem correctly.

If all your "leaf" alias entries point to separate Mailman lists,
sendmail will consider each Mailman list a separate destination.  Now,
if the intersection of the member sets of two Mailman lists aren't
always empty, Mailman would have to have some sort of inter-list
internal communication to avoid the addresses inside the intersections
getting duplicate mail.

Currently there are no inter-list communication inside Mailman.  There
have been some talk of adding support for this for post-1.0 (but I
can't remember whether any of the ideas presented was generally agreed
upon to be truly good ones).
--
Harald