[Mailman-Users] masquerading?

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Tue Jul 20 01:00:13 CEST 1999

At 12:50 AM 7/20/99 +0200, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
>On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Ron Jarrell wrote:
>
> > I'm using mailman with lists on virtual hosts... The web and inbound work fine.
> > But when you set the hostname in the web page, isn't that support to masquerade
> > outbound, or did I misunderstand it's use?  All my lists are coming from
> > listname at realhostname... I could swear this worked when I tested it.
>
>Make sure you don't use CNAMEs for your virtualhosts. CNAMEs and SMTP
>dont like each other very much...

Duh.  I could swat myself, I really could... I caught this about 2 minutes before your
note arrived.  I knew that, and have bunches that *are* A records for just that reason.
In fact, I *tested* with one.  But these new lists are on hostnames that were originally just
going to be web virtual hosts, and got set up as CNAMEs, and later, when mailing lists
got added, I completely forgot that that's how they were set up.  Feh...
Thanks.