[Mailman-Users] Bug in b7?

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Wed Jan 13 08:53:49 CET 1999

[Barry A. Warsaw]

>     JW> This seems to have fixed my problem. :)
>
> Cool.  Thanks Scott.  Is this something we should make (site)
> configurable?

I would rather suggest testing both the envelope and the header sender
address against the allowed posters.

I'm currently in the process of (very slowly) migrating our lists from
a legacy system (called "mlist", part of the MTA "PP") to Mailman, and
have Mailman running on a system completely separated from our main
mail server setup.

Whenever I migrate a list from mlist, I want the address it had to
continue working -- and the easiest way of doing this is to add the
new Mailman list address as the only member of the mlist address.

However, mlist of course substitutes the mlist admin for the envelope
sender, and thus isn't working properly when GetEnvelopeSender() is
used.

It could of course be argued that I should work around this in some
other way -- off the top of my head, I can think of these possible
solutions (none of which I have tried yet):

 * Make the old mlist list addresses into PP aliases, thereby removing
   any envelope sender change effects.

 * Add the mlist envelope sender to the `posters' setting of the list,
   thereby allowing all members _and_ the problematic changed envelope
   sender.

However, as I'm unable to see any good reasons for just checking one
of the sender addresses (I don't believe either of them to be harder
to forge than the other), I'm hoping I won't have to play with any
workaround hacks :)

BTW, it seems that I am unable to reproduce the problems I had with
member_posting_only as well (but I don't believe they had anything to
do with envelope sender addresses).  If they turn up again, I'll
holler :)

And, Scott's suggestion of making the posting restrictions into some
kind of ACL sounds conceptually very nice -- but I'm wondering how
well ACL editing will translate into a web UI.
--
Harald