[Mailman-Users] Update to wierd problem...

George Hartz georgeh at blowtorch.com
Tue Jan 12 21:38:15 CET 1999

J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:02:56 +0000
> George Hartz<georgeh at blowtorch.com> wrote:
>
> > Okay, Seems its a sendmail issue... I recompiled mailman with the
> > mail-gid deliberately set incorrectly and I'm still not getting
> > any errors. Which means Sendmail is telling me its delivering to
> > "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/wrapper" but its aparently not...
>
> > *sigh*
>
> > I hate Sendmail :)
>
> Run, do not walk, to http://www.exim.org/ for an MTA.  Much much
> better error logging and tracebacks, human readable configs, faster,
> actively supported, responsive author (see mailing list archives)
> etc etc etc.  Good stuff.  If you want help with the config, just
> ask me off-list.

Okay, I seem to have found the problem, but haven't fixed it yet.
Sendmail is processing the aliases file correctly, but when I looked
closer to the log file, its sending the piped command to the local
mailer not the prog mailer. Which I'm guessing means there's some sort
of a ruleset missing in my sendmail.cf file, or the process of telling
sendmail to use procmail as its local mailer somehow broke the prog
mailer. Four hours of searching the net hasn't tracked down any hints
where to look though. I'll repeat how much I hate sendmail. :)

I may take a look at exim, but I'm not sure if its going to be easier to
fix sendmail or figure out how to get exim to handle mail the wierd way
the server is set right now. (Basically using procmail to filter
incoming mail before being sent to Cyrus -- the imap server -- for users
that don't actually exist on the server...)

Sorry to take up bandwidth on the mailman list for a problem that turns
out wasn't mailman at all...

- George
--
email:dotorg at bangsplat.org;url:www.bangsplat.org;uin:153182;aim:tgd98