[Mailman-Users] "Permission denied" errors when queueing message

Brian Ryner bryner at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 23 20:28:43 CET 1999

Hi-

I'm attempting to set up MailMan 1.0b8 on a Slackware 3.2 system, with
Python 1.51.  The CGI interface works fine, the only thing that doesn't
is when it tries to queue a message to send.  The output from the error
log is below.  I can't figure out which file it is trying to open and
getting "permission denied".  I'm also not that familiar with Python, so
if someone could help me out here it would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Feb 23 13:05:03 1999 contact_transport: IOError writing outgoing queue
        exceptions.IOError/(13, 'Permission denied')
contact_transport: Traceback (innermost last):
contact_transport:   File "/home/mailman/scripts/contact_transport",
line 58, in ?
contact_transport:      queue_id =
OutgoingQueue.enqueueMessage(from_addr, to_addrs, text)
contact_transport:   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/OutgoingQueue.py", line
143, in EnqueueMessage
contact_transport:      f = Utils.open_ex(fname, "a+", -1, QF_MODE |
stat.S_ISUID)
contact_transport:   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 664, in
open_ex
contact_transport:      reraise(IOError, e)
contact_transport:   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 659, in
open_ex
contact_transport:      fd = os.open(filename, flags, perms)
contact_transport: IOError :  (13, 'Permission denied')

-Brian Ryner
bryner at uiuc.edu