[Mailman-Users] private archiving problems

Harald Meland Harald.Meland at usit.uio.no
Sun Feb 14 19:11:42 CET 1999

[Christopher Lindsey]

> > first of all, is it okay to use the following apache srm.conf
> > aliases for mailman instead of the one it asks for?
> >
> > Alias /archives/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
> > ScriptAlias /lists/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
> >
> > (everything seems to work fine with that except the following)
>
> This isn't going to work (as you already found out) for the
> private archives.

Well, they could -- and if they weren't it's not necessarily for the
reasons you pointed out.

On my Mailman, the public archive for a specific list is referenced
from the lists "listinfo" page as

  http://HOSTNAME/pipermail/LISTNAME

while lists with private archives have the archive links on the
"listinfo" page pointing to

  http://HOSTNAME/mailman/private/LISTNAME/

This works perfectly fine for me, with these srm.conf directives:

  Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
  ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/

The "/mailman/private" part of the private archive URL is taken from
the PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL setting in Mailman/mm_cfg.py, while
"/pipermail" comes from PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL.

So, this really comes down to how the original posters wants her (or
his, I don't know what sex "deadgrrrl" is :) archive URLs to look
like.

If my URLs look good, my setup is outlined above.  If URLs starting
with "http://HOSTNAME/archives" are what is wanted (for both private
and public archives), then I think the clean solution would be:

 srm.conf:
  Alias /archives/ /home/mailman/archives/
 Mailman/mm_cfg.py:
  PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = '/archives/public'
  PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/archives/private'

(because I like to reduce the number of srm.conf aliases as much as
possible).

Either way, what really matters is that the settings in mm_cfg.py and
srm.conf correspond to each other in a correct way.

--
Harald