[Mailman-Users] apache ScriptAlias problem...

Neil ''Fred'' Picciotto fred at derf.net
Sat Dec 4 23:28:07 CET 1999

i wrote:

> i get 404s for anything within http://some.domain/mailman/ .  now, i know,
> this is the very first question in the faq.  but i've done what the faq
> says and it still doesn't work.

thanks to everyone who mailed me with their apache config file fragments.
i figured out the thing i needed from one of those fragments.  this is
what i now have in my httpd.conf (and it works):

# stuff for mailman
ScriptAlias /mailman/ /home/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /mailmanlogo/ /home/mailman/logo/
Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory /home/mailman>
allow from all
Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

the key was that i didn't have "allow from all" in any <Directory>
directive which included the mailman stuff.  seems like that should be
mentioned in the INSTALL doc...

though i'm not sure whether allowing from all for all of /home/mailman is
too permissive -- maybe i should have separate <Directory> directives for
each of the three directories i am Aliasing into, and put "allow from all"
for each one, and "Options FollowSymLinks" only for archives/public/...
anyone see any reason this would matter?

thanks again!

...derF\lieN

Neil "Fred" Picciotto -=- fred at derf.net
new and improved! -=- http://www.derf.net/ -=- now with actual content!