[Mailman-Users] Exim and mailman - HOWTO

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 20:04:54 CEST 1999

[Could any other exim (rather than mailman) related questions be taken
to the exim-users list.  Web site for exim is http://www.exim.org/ and
the list signup, which looks strangely familiar to mailman people, is
at http://www.exim.org/mailman/listinfo/exim-users ]

cdysthe at oddbird.dyndns.org said:
> I have been using Exim and Mailman for a while running a couple of
> lists. I am running Debian (SLink). I have had no serious problems
> making this combo work. I read some mailing list archives about how to
> set it up. Pretty straight forward, and as I said, it works great. The
> only real change I had to do was to make Exim run as a daemon instead
> of from inetd.

It will work either from inetd or as a daemon.  The exim load control
functions (ie stopping exim completely swamping your box if huge
amounts of mail are sent etc), only really work if exim is run as a
daemon.  You do of course need either a queue runner daemon or a cron
job to run the queue if you choose to run from inetd.  Personally I
would consider a mailing list box running the MTA from inetd (unless
the MTA is specifically designed to work that way by perference) to be
at risk of a DOS attack.

> Does this mean that this HOWTO doesn't apply for Debian. or have I
> missed something?

The HOWTO is agnostic.  It should work on any *nix like system - all
Linux versions and any other nix that exim runs on.

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]