[Mailman-Users] smtp-failures

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at vdata.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 18:59:06 CEST 1999

cdysthe at oddbird.dyndns.org said:
> I am using mailman with exim, and I do now know what causes this. I
> have tried to find all information available regarding mailman and
> exim and do what it takes to make it run, but I still get this. I also
> get a lot of messages to root telling me smtp is down. This did not
> happen before I installed mailman.

Exim works fine with mailman - the only niggles I have right now are
that some bounce messages are not parsed by mailman right now -
hopefully I or someone else will get to fixing that [there are bugs in
the jitterbug db about this].  The exim list itself is handled by a
mailman list handler.

I think you need to start this from the beginning.
Can you inject mail using SMTP into exim?

If "telnet 127.0.0.1 25" gives connection refused then your exim config
needs to be modified to listen on loopback (or possibly just start your
exim daemon).

If you can talk to exim, but cannot send mail (or cannot send mail from
the list address), then you need to set your accept/relay rules.

Remember that exim needs HUPing for the daemon to take the changes.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]