[Mailman-Users] [Q]: Mailman Archive Text Searching Capabilit es?

Ken Manheimer klm at digicool.com
Fri Apr 2 17:35:05 CEST 1999

Sean O'Neill writes:

> Is there any way to provide HTML forms based searching capabilities to
> mailing lists user community?  We have mailman running but my users
want to
> be able to search the archives for text within the messages.

The built-in pipermail archives provide no such facility.  If you want
it, you're either going to have to hack the pipermail code to add this
feature - not trivial - or hook up with another archival mechanism.  I
know of some people who use MHonarc, and i understand hypermail is again
actively maintained, and i believe both can be hooked up via a regular
list subscription.  (If they respect the X-no-archive header, then
password reminders and so forth won't get archived, besides.)  For that
matter, if your lists are public you could even subscribe one of the
public maillist archive services, like egroups.com or reference.com....

> Sean O'Neill
> AppNet, Inc.
> Century Computing Division

(Hmm - century computing - barry's old stomping grounds!
Interesting...)

Ken Manheimer
klm at digicool.com