[Mailman-i18n] Esperanto translation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 13 18:15:21 EDT 2018

On 5/13/18 2:50 PM, Rubeno Fernández wrote:
> Thanks for the info, Mark!
>
> My priority is translating the HTML and email templates that my list users
> will interact with. Is it possible to install them in Mailman even while
> incomplete? As far as I understand, I need to make a directory /etc/mailman/eo
> and put my files there, and then add a line like this to the end of /usr/lib/
> mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py:
>
> 	add_language('eo', _('Esperanto'), 'utf-8')
>
> Am I on the right track?

Yes. The add language is OK. Eventually, it will become

add_language('eo', _('Esperanto'), 'utf-8', 'ltr')

but the 'ltr' direction is the default so for testing, you don't need it.

It seems you are looking at doing this in an installed Mailman package,
and this too is OK, but I'm not sure how the package you're using stores
its files and you may need more.

I.e., if the other language templates are in /etc/mailman/eo, there may
be symlinks to these language directories from somewhere in
/usr/lib/mailman or vice-versa and if so, you'll need one for eo as well.

I.e., you need to mirror what the other languages do.

Also, you should have a mailman.po file in the appropriate place. You
don't really need it if you haven't translated any strings, but you
could start with a copy of
<https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/view/head:/messages/mailman.pot>
which might also be included somewhere in your package.

You also need to compile mailman.po to mailman.mo with msgfmt.