[Mailman-i18n] Latvian translation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 8 22:11:57 CEST 2009

Karlis Repsons wrote:

>On Monday 08 June 2009 18:40:39 you wrote:
>> Yes you can. It isn't seamless as you have to run msgfmt to create a
>> new mailman.mo from mailman.po and do a Mailman restart after
>> uploading new files, but there should be now other difficulties in
>> doing an incremental translation.
>Emm... You mean "no other difficulties"?

Yes. Sorry for the typo ...

>Please, could you write it out in steps what should be done after I upload
>files?
>And thanks for Mailman!

First you need to add

add_language('lv',    _('Latvian'),     'utf-8',  'ltr')

to the list at the end of Mailman/Defaults.py, and copy the English (or
come other languge if you prefer) templates to templates/lv. E.g.

cd /path/to/templates/
cp -a en lv

You also need to do

mkdir /path/to/messages/lv
mkdir /path/to/messages/lv/LC_MESSAGES
cp /path/to/unpack/messages/mailman.pot \
  /path/to/messages/lv/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po

And make sure the ownership and permissions of these are the same as
for other languages. Then do

/path/to/bin/msgfmt.py /path/to/messages/lv/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po

to make the binary mailman.mo file. Then you can do

/path/to/bin/mailmanctl restart

to restart Mailman at which point Mailman should recognize Latvian as a
language, but of course it won't be translated.

Then as you make translated templates and add translated messages, you
can replace files in /path/to/templates/ and/or the
/path/to/messages/lv/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po file.

You then do

/path/to/bin/msgfmt.py /path/to/messages/lv/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po

(only necessary if you changed mailman.po), and

/path/to/bin/mailmanctl restart

Note that there is an experimental Pootle server for Mailman (see
<http://wiki.list.org/x/KIBJ>). I can't help with that, but others on
this list can.