[Mailman-i18n] Mailman in Nepali

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 27 22:53:28 CET 2008

Bibek Paudel wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 5:17 AM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>>  The current workflow we are experimenting with is for you to create
>>  your own launchpad account and your own branch from the 2.1 branch.
>>  Then when you are satisfied your branch is ready, you can propose it
>>  for merge back to the 2.1 branch.
>
>I have created a branch named "nepali" at launchpad.
>https://code.launchpad.net/~eternalyouth/mailman/nepali

I see that you have created the branch, but it is not yet 'published'
so I and others can't see what's in it.

>Please tell me if I am doing everything the right way. I still have no
>clue about how to add my language so that others would be able to join
>me in case they get interested.

I'm not sure what your asking so my answer may cover things you are not
asking.

Once you publish your branch on launchpad, you can give other
individuals commit privileges to it so that you and others can updat
your branch using bazaar (bzr).

To make a translation for a new language you need several things.

You need 'ne' subdirectories under templates/ and messages/.
templates/ne/ contains the translated versions of all the files in
templates/en/. messages/ne/LC_Messages/ contains mailman.po which is
the translated message catalog based on messages/mailman.pot.

In addition, you need to add

add_language('ne',  _('Nepali'),  'utf-8',  'ltr')

but with the appropriate character set (maybe not utf-8) and direction
(maybe not left to right) for Nepali, and you need to add ne to the
LANGUAGES lists in templates/Makefile.in and messages/Makefile.in so
that Mailman will be aware of your language and configure and make
will build and install the mailman.mo and templates.

I hope this answers your questions.