[Mailman-i18n] Translation services (was Re: Updated message catalogs needed for Mailman 2.1.10)

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Mar 27 02:54:49 CET 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 5:07 AM, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> On 11/03/2008, at 12:11 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
>
>> On 3/10/08, liste yoneticisi wrote:
>>
>>> (An explanation to all: I just asked if there is anyone who
>>> responsible for Turkish translation of Mailman, attended to these
>>> lists
>>> from Turkiye.)
>>
>> This is a question that is better asked on the mailman-i18n mailing
>> list.  That's where all the Internationalization folks should be
>> hanging out.
>
> I'd definitely vote for Pootle. It's free software, and gives you
> complete control of access, plus syncing with source control
> (including bzr, AFAIK). Its developers are extremely responsive to
> admin or user needs.

Hi Clytie,

So would you recommend that we run our own Pootle server or use one of
the public Pootle servers that already exist.  The former is
problematic since we don't really have the resources or machines to
host such a server.  I looked at the official Pootle server
documentation and while they list a few projects that they host, they
don't appear to have formal published policy about how they accept new
projects.  I would guess that they'd be likely to accept a GPL'd
project like Mailman.

The other listed public Pootle servers seem to be focused on
particular projects, so I'm not sure there's a different existing
service that would host us.

We would need some mechanisms and policy for ensuring that translators
who contribute to Mailman all have the necessary FSF copyright
assignments.  We want to avoid getting in situations where some
languages aren't assigned and others are.

I'd like to have some ability for cross-project pollination.  The idea
being that it's good to have Vietnamese experts who contribute to lots
of open source projects,  and can learn about Mailman, with an easy
way to share translations across projects. I don't know if that's a
typical way translators work though, or if they would find it a
benefit to have such a system.

Sync'ing from Bazaar would be very cool!

Do any other translators have additional comments?

- -Barry