[Mailman-i18n] Using Pootle

Cristóbal Palmer cmpalmer at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Jul 2 20:03:43 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 05:46:55PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
>
> | Any other languages missing?
>

> There are several in the table at
> <http://garp.metalab.unc.edu:8080/projects/mailman/> that seem to be
> pointing at empty or non-existent mailman.po files or have some other
> problem which results in all zeros in the table.
>
> These are Danish, French, German, Hungarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian,
> Spanish and Swedish.

Fixed.

Having talked to the pootle devs, it seems the problem had to do with
the translate toolkit assuming utf8 until it got to the header that
declares the charset, which was Bad (tm). I've updated pootle.metalab
to use a newer version of the toolkit that closes that bug. Those
languages all show up properly now.

> The following languages which have translations on both the 2.1 branch
> and the 3.0 branch are totally missing: Estonian (et), Croatian (hr),
> Interlingua (ia) and Norwegian (no).
>
> There are three 2.1 translations that are not currently in 3.0. These
> are Galician (gl), Hebrew (he) and Slovak (sk), although all three are
> in the table at <http://garp.metalab.unc.edu:8080/projects/mailman/>.

(et), (hr), (ia), and (no) can be resolved by adding those languages
within pootle, but that may require knowing a bit about how plurals
are computed in those languages and some other details that I'm loathe
to guess at on my own. Anybody who has admin access to the
pootle.metalab web interface (currently me, Barry & Clytie) can add
those languages, but I'm not sure any of us knows what the "proper"
values are for the blanks in the form at the bottom of
http://pootle.metalab.unc.edu/admin/languages.html to add a language.

> There are issues between 2.1 and 3.0 that will be resolved, but aren't
> yet. A couple of years ago the trunk which became the 3.0 branch was
> changed to include the templates in the message catalog. This is good as
> it puts all the translation in one place. However, since that was done,
> there has been much updating including the addition of the above
> mentioned three languages which is not reflected in the 3.0 branch.
>
> So, we need to make a consistent base to work from. This could be the
> 2.1 branch as it has the most up to date translations, but it doesn't
> have the templates in the message catalog. I am willing to work on this,
> but right now, I need a little break.

Take your time. :)

Let me know what my next step is if y'all need me to make changes on
my end of things.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer