[Mailman-i18n] Configuring Mailman for UTF-8 languages

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Feb 28 08:29:43 CET 2006

Hello again :)

As you may realize from all my questions, I'm configuring my first
Mailman list. A friend and I are revitaiizing a moribund localization
team, and had to request a new mailing list. I didn't know that would
mean me getting stuck with running it. :S

I hope to learn from it, anyway. :)

Apart from not having a Vietnamese language option (my previous post
deals with that), I have noticed that when I enter text in Vietnamese
(UTF-8) in the Configuration page (e.g. Introductory Description),
the result on the list page is that all the non-Latin-1 characters
are shown as question marks. Not good. :(

I'm guessing this is because I can't choose Vietnamese as the
language option (because it's not there), so have stuck with the
default (English), and that affects the encoding choice.

Is that the case?

I really don't want to choose another UTF-8 language, because that
will be confusing for list-members. Would you consider setting UTF-8
as the default encoding for English?

Or am I completely off the target and something else has gone wrong? :D

I do need to be able to display Vietnamese (UTF-8) text on the list
page for my users. What do I need to do to ensure it is displayed
correctly?

Note: Vietnamese is written in a Roman alphabet, but with combined
diacritics to show the six different tones that distinguish meaning.
Without the accents, you can't tell which word is which. Vietnamese
is notorious for breaking "full Unicode support", so it's a good test
case. ;)

Thankyou in advance for your help. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)