[Mailman-i18n] RTL (was: Re: Hebrew translation)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Apr 25 04:30:38 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 11:36 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> However, I would be keen to document RTL capability in the wiki, once
> we have it. :)

Definitely!

> What would be the best way to test if it exists, Barry?
>
> Do you want Tzipi to complete the whole mailman.po file first, then
> submit it so it can be tested in the interface?

I don't think an entire translation would be needed, but you could start
with say, all messages in listinfo.py and the listinfo.html template.
That would be enough to give us a sense for how well the web u/i handles
RTL.  You might also try some of the messages in admin.py, then take a
look at that.

I'd also suggest translating one or two of the command line scripts,
then seeing how well those work.  Follow that by some of the messages
sent to users over email and you basically have coverage for the major
touch points for RTL i18n.

> If so, would you have time to build Mailman with that file, and put
> it up online, so Tzipi can look at the interface and say if his
> strings are displaying correctly or not? (We could even do this
> earlier, with a partly-completed file.)

Right now, I don't have a good place to expose the trunk publicly, but
I'd be happy to do some screen captures.

> We don't need to worry about the templates separately, since in trunk
> they're integrated into the  mailman.po file. (Good news for current
> Mailman translators. ;) "Trunk" is the section of Mailman that will
> develop into an upcoming version: Mailman 2.2?

Yep.

-Barry