[Mailman-i18n] RTL (was: Re: Hebrew translation)

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Apr 25 04:06:11 CEST 2006

Cc also to mailman-i18n, since this is an i18n issue which will
affect other languages we don't yet have.

For example, if someone comes along later and wants to translate into
another RTL language, this discussion will be in the archives.

However, I would be keen to document RTL capability in the wiki, once
we have it. :)

On 25/04/2006, at 6:13 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>> Barry, does Mailman support languages written from right to left
>> (RTL) ?
>
> To be honest, I don't know!  We'll have to try it and then fix
> anything
> we find broken.  It might be best to experiment on the 2.2 trunk
> first,
> but if the changes are minimal, then we can pull the Hebrew
> translation
> into the 2.1 branch.

What would be the best way to test if it exists, Barry?

Do you want Tzipi to complete the whole mailman.po file first, then
submit it so it can be tested in the interface?

If so, would you have time to build Mailman with that file, and put
it up online, so Tzipi can look at the interface and say if his
strings are displaying correctly or not? (We could even do this
earlier, with a partly-completed file.)

We don't need to worry about the templates separately, since in trunk
they're integrated into the  mailman.po file. (Good news for current
Mailman translators. ;) "Trunk" is the section of Mailman that will
develop into an upcoming version: Mailman 2.2? This nomenclature is
easier to remember if you think of all the energy going into growing
the trunk of the tree, so it can produce strong new branches
[versions]. ;) )

Tzipi, we will need the advice of at least one very experienced open-
source Hebrew translator. Have you been in touch with Eli at the
Translation Project yet? Please ask him for advice on any issues we
may encounter in testing or adapting Mailman for RTL.

This can save a lot of extra work, since I know myself that there are
issues specific to each language, which the more experienced
translators have already encountered, and about which they can offer
very useful advice, and often specific workarounds.

Tzipi, once you have read our Internationalization page and howto
(the links I've already sent you) you can certainly start working on
the mailman.po file (the interface file). We can't test anything
until we have some Hebrew text in Mailman! :)

*** However, there is one small change to the Howto: you need to
download the Mailman 2.2, not the current branch (2.1.8). ***

If you have any further questions or problems, after reading our
current Internationalization documentation, please ask. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)